Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Jake Bischoff signs with New York Islanders

Minnesota D Jake Bischoff
University of Minnesota senior defenseman Jake Bischoff has signed a two year, entry-level contract with the New York Islanders.

The 22 year-old finished his college career with 68 points (17G-51A) in 139 games for the Gophers. He set new highs with 32 points (5G-27A) and 88 blocked shots en route to being named the 2017 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.


In his second season as alternate captain, Bischoff was the lone senior on Minnesota's blue line. He ended up being heavily relied upon in all situations, being part of the top Gopher defensive pairing with Ryan Lindgren for most of the season. Bischoff also ended up playing a role on the team's top power play and penalty kill units.

“I wouldn’t trade the last four years for anything, and I want to thank everyone for supporting us. This will always be a special place for me, and I’m incredibly grateful for everything the University of Minnesota has given me,” Bischoff said in a statement released by the University. “At the same time, I’m excited take the next step in my career by joining the New York Islanders organization.”

A native of Grand Rapids, MN Bischoff is a 2012 7th round draft pick (185th overall) of the Islanders. His father Grant played for Minnesota from 1987-1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment