Friday, November 24, 2017

BLOG: Amy Potomak cut from Canadian Olympic team; Gophers celebrate Thanksgiving

Both Minnesota hockey teams are on the road this weekend. The Gopher men's team is in South Bend, Indiana while the Gopher women's team travels to Saint Charles, Missouri to face Lindenwood. However, they each spent Thanksgiving differently.

The men's team traveled Thursday and is celebrating Thanksgiving together in group bonding before facing #4 Notre Dame.

The women's team let everyone go home - or for those out of staters, to someone's house - to celebrate Thanksgiving with their families. Minnesota instead is flying out Friday morning.

--

Minnesota freshman Amy Potomak, one of three current Gophers away from college trying to make the Olympics, sadly will not be making the trip to PyeongChang, South Korea.

The youngest player on Team Canada's Olympic centralization team (the second-youngest being older sister Sarah) was cut earlier this week, along with Erin Ambrose. Unlike Team USA, which announced its 23 players for next February's Olympics in May (and added a 24th last month), Canada brought in 28 and must cut three more players to finalize the roster.

“I would like to thank Hockey Canada and my teammates who have pushed me to become a better person and player, and have supported me through centralization. I also want to thank the fans for their support throughout my journey,” Potomak said in a statement released by Hockey Canada. “I am disappointed right now but I understand it's not my time and this will make me better moving forward. I'm going to take some time and decide what my next steps are. I wish Team Canada the best of luck moving forward.”

Whether that means the Gophers get the top freshman recruit in the lineup for the rest of the season remains to be seen. With the timing of being cut in November, Potomak could easily return for the second semester. She could also continue redshirting this season and put off her freshman year until 2018-19.

I asked head coach Brad Frost what was Potomak's status. Right now, there's no answer.

"We have no idea yet," he said. "I've only received a text from Amy just saying she's going to take a couple days before we talk. I want to respect her wishes. Her dream has been crushed and it's not about us."

Four years ago, Wisconsin's Annie Pankowski continued putting off her freshman year after being one of Team USA's final two cuts. Instead, she played at North American Hockey Academy. (The benefit of that is that she can also play next season after redshirting - and making the Olympic team - for 2017-18.) That could be a path Potomak takes although in Pankowski's case, USA cut players later in the year.

Whenever Potomak joins the Gophers, it will be a boost to Minnesota's offense.

--
On the other hand, these Olympians were back this week...to visit.




No comments:

Post a Comment