Wednesday, August 28, 2019

2019 Women's Hockey Top 25 Under 25 (The Ice Garden)

The Ice Garden, SB Nation's women's hockey blog, does a fantastic job covering the sport at all levels with a number of dedicated writers. Earlier this summer, I was honored to be one of the four external voters to help their rankings for the top 25 women's hockey players under the age of 25.

The full rankings list can be found here. Former Wisconsin star Annie Pankowski finished as the top player under 25. Two former Gophers - Dani Cameranesi (6) and Kelly Pannek (23) - made the list while redshirt senior Sarah Potomak was named an honorable mention.

In the spirit of transparency, my list was built upon the idea of who I would pick to start a team of under-25 players. (It's too bad Lee Stecklein is just on the other side of 25 because that's where I'd start.) That made my list slant towards college players, who are younger and have a bigger upside. There's no wrong answer as to how to build the rankings, but this is my philosophy.

Top-6 (TIG consensus ranking)
1. Loren Gabel (5)
2. Pankowski (1)
3. Megan Keller (didn't mean to start my list with the three Patty Kazmaier finalists, but there's a reason all three were named finalists) (4)
4. Maddie Rooney (T-13)
5. Cameranesi (6)
6. Alina Mueller (3)

A big thanks to Michelle Jay and everyone at The Ice Garden for letting me vote.

--
If you enjoyed this blog, you can follow Nate on Twitter and like/subscribe to his Facebook page. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment